Since opening the doors at the first Ronald McDonald House® in 1974, Ronald McDonald House Charities® (RMHC®) has helped ease the burden of having a sick child for millions of families, keeping them close by and together during an unimaginable time. On November 8th in Rosemont, Ill. the Charity and its global leaders came together to celebrate that 40 year legacy at the annual Awards of Excellence Gala. During the event, RMHC Board Chair Linda Dunham was awarded the prestigious Gerry Newman McTLC Award of Excellence for her leadership and commitment to RMHC.
Dunham, a McDonald’s owner/operator with restaurants in New York and New Jersey, and a resident in the Edgewater, NJ area, was one of 10 RMHC Chapter honorees celebrated for their pioneering efforts as the first RMHC program in their area of the world.
Dunham has been devoted to supporting programs that help young people reach their full potential. She is the recipient of several prestigious awards, including Ebony’s Power 150, Governor of New York’s African-American Award of Excellence and McDonald’s 365 Black Award that honors individuals who nurture their communities. Dunham’s term as board chairman ends December 10, 2014, and she will be succeeded by Steven M. Ramirez. A complete list of the honorees can be found below.
RMHC creates, finds and supports programs that directly improve the health and well-being of children. Through its global network of 58 Chapters, its three core programs, the Ronald McDonald House®, Ronald McDonald Family Room® and Ronald McDonald Care Mobile®, and millions of dollars in grants to support children’s programs worldwide, RMHC provides stability and resources to families so they can get and keep their children healthy and happy. All RMHC-operated and supported programs provide access to quality health care and give children and families the time they need together to heal and cope better.
Gerry Newman McTLC Award of Excellence
- RMHC Board Chair Linda Dunham
First Ronald McDonald House
- Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House (1974)
Second Ronald McDonald House in the United States
- Ronald McDonald House Charities Chicagoland & Northwest Indiana: Ronald McDonald House (1977)
Next Ronald McDonald House to Open
- Indonesia: Jakarta Ronald McDonald House (2014)
First Ronald McDonald Houses® In Each Area of the World
- Canada: Toronto Ronald McDonald House (1981)
- Pacific: Sydney Ronald McDonald House (1981)
- Europe: Amsterdam Ronald McDonald House (1985)
- Latin America: Rio de Janeiro Ronald McDonald House (1994)
- Asia: Hong Kong Ronald McDonald House (1996)
First Ronald McDonald Family Room®
- Kansas City Ronald McDonald Family Room (1992)
First Ronald McDonald Care Mobile®
- Eastern New England Ronald McDonald Care Mobile (2000)
Follow us on Twitter at @McDNYTriState